How to Combat College Anxiety

Emily Mahle, Staff reporter

You are 15 years old, a sophomore in high school. Relatives begin to ask “Where do you want to go to college?”

You think to yourself, “Whatttttttt?” I don’t even have my drivers license yet. Then you blink your eyes and you’re 17, a junior in high school. Now things are getting real. You have to take your ACT test to see if college is for you. Luckily we live in an area that has many choices for post-secondary education. Let’s review our options.

University of Minnesota Duluth is our biggest school. UMD has an enrollment of 9,967, about 1\3 of the students live in college-owned, operated or -affiliated housing 2\3’s of the student population live off campus. They have s choice of 15 bachelor degrees in 84 majors and 72 minors. The university of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth campus and the university of Minnesota college of pharmacy both have programs on the UMD campus. Go Bulldogs!

Just across the bay in Superior, Wisconsin is another option close by, the University of Wisconsin Superior. They offer affordable four-year programs with nearly 82% of all students receiving some type of financial aid. If you are worried about the cost because it is out-of-state, don’t worry, they offer tuition reciprocity that allows Minnesota residence to attend their school and pay the same tuition rate that they would pay attending a Minnesota state University system.

If you are not interested in pursuing a 4-year degree there are many tech schools in our area. Two of the best is Lake Superior College and WITC-Superior. LSC is a 2-year community and technical college. They offer classes for students interested in transferring to a 4-year college. The enrollment in 5,800 at LSC. They both offer a wide variety of programs for careers that do not require a 4-year degree.

If you are 17 and considering going to college ask yourself what are your interests and your skills and also how much you can afford to pay for a college experience. Look at your options of schools in our area before dreaming of big fancy schools. Find the right fit for yourself, you will be much happier.